Thursday, December 11, 2008

Day 6 Post-Op- First Follow-up Appt

Tuesday morning I woke up a little anxious and excited. Day 6...what would I see in the mirror today? Well, here is what I saw:
As you can tell, the swelling is finally staring to go down a little bit. I am no where near 'normal,' but at least I don't feel like my head is going to explode anymore! Yay! So Tuesday was a busy day. I had a dear friend come by and bring a couple of shakes and a handful of movies- this definitely raised my spirits! The funniest thing was seeing how she looked at me- so full of concern! The funny part about it is that I thought I was looking pretty good. Ha! I guess I am, considering....

I had my first post-op appointment with the surgeon on this day. Net net, everything is great! The surgeon said that the surgery could not have gone any better and that I was definitely ahead of schedule with my recovery. I actually drew a crowd- the nurses and other doctors kept coming in to see how 'good' I looked. It was a freak show. Here is my x-ray after surgery:

If you blow up the picture you can see the four 'L' bars I have on my top jaw and the 6 screws (3 on each side) that I have on my lower jaw. Pretty neat. I told my dad about this and he went on and on about how I will set off the security thing at the airport all the time...I didn't have the heart to tell him that I won't. So anyways- healing well! So well, in fact, that the surgeon went ahead and added some bands to my braces to help me get use to my new bite:


There are two on each side- I know they are hard to see, sorry. The flash makes it difficult to take close pictures of my teeth. =)

I had to go to Wal-Greens on the way home to pick up some new meds, and I can't tell you how weird it was to walk around people with my face looking so weird! I've never been vain about my looks....but boy-o-boy do I want my face back!

No comments: