Sunday, January 25, 2009

7 weeks and a few days post-op

I don't have a calendar in front of me, but I'm pretty sure I'm seven weeks and four days post-op today. I had an orthodontist appointment this past Tuesday, and it went really well. Dr. Smith is very happy with my progress so far and told me that the rest of my time in braces will mainly be for my jaw to heal.....and making minor tweaks to my alignment. Actually, he said that if I hadn't had surgery a few weeks ago that I could get my braces off soon....but since I DID have surgery, I have to have them on for a minimum of six months. I was told six months should be about it, though....so I have a target date for my de-bracing- JUNE 09! Yay! At the appointment on Tuesday, Dr. Smith put a 'chain' on my top teeth....this is a thing (TIGHT) band-like material that hooks around all of the braces on the top and slowly and consistently pulls your teeth all together. This is to close any spaces that have developed, although I don't see any spaces. I can tell you one thing- this thing does NOT feel good! It's a constant pressure and is slightly more annoying than when I get my wires changed out. My next ortho appt is in March, and I was told that I'd have my wires changed out then and would be doing some different things with my rubber bands. How exciting (insert sarcasm here).

I have a follow-up appt with my surgeon on Tuesday (if the ice storm that is suppose to hit doesn't ice me in). I don't expect anything to come out of this meeting, really. I'm already eating most things, and the things that I can't eat won't be on the menu line-up anytime soon (things like salad, tacos, cheeseburgers, etc). I do want to inquire about my remaining swelling- I'm so ready for it to go down! Most of it is gone, yes, but I still have pockets of swelling on my cheeks. I also want to find out how much longer he things I will have to wait until I get all of my feeling in my mouth/lips/chin/etc back. My upper lip/nose is mostly back, but my lower lip and chin are still totally numb. It doesn't hurt or anything...just annoying. I know I should just have patience, and I'm trying, but I'm just so excited about being 100% someday.

I apologize that I've been neglecting this blog- I've been traveling every single week since I started my new job. It's going great, but it sure has been busy and crazy. I can't wait to update you all on the new job and the direction that my career is starting to take, but I'll save that for my personal blog that I am planning on setting up in the near future. =) In the meantime, just know that things are good.

Ok, two quick personal notes-
  1. Most of you know that I am pretty OCD with certain things...especially anything to do with organization and tidiness. A week or so ago, I was out of town all week and came home to a not-so-clean house. Chris is usually good about cleaning up after himself, but this one week in particular just wasn't his week I guess. I drove for 6.5 hours and when I got home and started to unpack I started noticing things that needed done...like all of Chris's laundry (and now my travel laundry)....the dishes....the grocery shopping....taking the recycling...dusting...mopping...vacumming....changing the sheets...etc etc etc. When I went into the bathroom to put my travel bathroom pack away, I noticed that Chris had trimmed his beard and left the trimmer out, left bits of hair in different locations and had stuff all over the counter top. I teared up....I know, it's stupid. I guess I was just so tired and so overwhelmed at that moment with everything that I needed to do (because I can't just 'let it go' and go to sleep, etc as some of you may suggest) that I couldn't focus on anything else. I didn't get mad...I didn't say anything to Chris...I just unpacked and then started cleaning. I think Chris got the point of my frustration when I didn't go to bed until after 2 because I was doing everything that needed done. ANYWAY....I got home this Friday and Chris had vacuumed, gone to the store, done his own laundry, etc. Did he do everything that I would have done? No....but he did enough that it was manageable. Plus, he had flowers waiting on me (below pic). He made my day.
  2. We went to see Mix Master Mike last night at George's...it was a great show and we are both worn out from the good times. Stayed the night with Apes and Ira and hung out most of the day- good weekend!

Here are pics from this week:

1 comment:

Brad said...

Wait a second...I sent those flowers to Chris the day before you got back!